Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Why was the called Don Quixote

Going in to Don Quixote I had high expectations as everyone had talked up the reputation of the Marinsky's ballet. Unfortunately as the show started I came to the realization that my expectations weren't to be met. My main problem with the show is that they titled it "Don Quixote"; I personally think a more fitting title would have been "impressive athletic abilities with zero plot". As I've read Don Quixote twice and enjoyed it both times I was hoping for a significant more amount of plot. Unfortunately for me the only parts I could recognize were the beginning with Don reading the novels and the part involving the windmills. The rest as far as I could tell involved several couples or one couple hat had no part in the original text. While their athleticism was enviable, with no purpose or plot behind their movements, it held no attraction for me. The other major problem I had was was the lack of consistency in the choreography and moments. During act one I felt a distinct disorganization that felt to stem from a lack of practice as the music seemed to randomly sink up with the movements and everything seemed slightly blocky. This feeling slowly receded in me as the show continued and eventually by the end of the third act I felt like we were at a part of he show in which they had practice a significant amount and that the music synced with and was a coercive piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment