Friday, January 29, 2016

I'm back in the U.S., but the internet is still in Russian

I finally made it home this afternoon! I managed to sleep about 8 hours last night, and I stayed awake and semi-sane through the 3 hour car ride with my mom, sister, niece (1 1/2 yrs old), and nephew (4 yrs old). I gave them all their gifts, and realized I still have a lot to get done for this class by midnight (whoops... )

Although it's a pretty easy transition coming back to the U.S. and everything I've known for... well, my entire life, there are still some things that are weird at first. Like people now understanding everything I say when I'm out in public and having to order all of my food in English.

Although communication with others is definitely easier in my native language (and the only language I'm fluent in), I am going to miss being surrounded by native/fluent Russians speakers everywhere I go. I'm also going to miss having rubles in my wallet (they're so much prettier than U.S. money!) and the awesome feeling of being able to buy lunch for about $3 (NOT at McDonald's).
However, I will NOT miss my fear of ingesting tap water or ice potentially made of tap water, and being self-conscious whenever I speak in English (both somewhat irrational, but they happened).

Russia was incredible, and I definitely want to go back someday. But right now, I am very much looking forward to sleeping in my own room tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment