Tuesday, January 12, 2016

That Snowstorm Tho

I just want to start off by saying it took me longer than it should have to figure out how to work this website. Mobile is not always best, let me tell you.

Anyway as our first full week of being in Russia comes to a close, I would like to reflect on some feelings and experiences that hopefully can be shared with my classmates.

First, I had originally heard of this trip from my wonderful roommate, who is in fact a Russian major, and I thought it sounded super fun. I hadn't given it much serious thought, though, until I got an email probably four days before the deadline about it. It was at that time I decided to give it a shot and apply, even though for three and a half years prior I was determined, for whatever dumb reason, I wouldn't study abroad while I was at St. Olaf.

Now here we are. My first time out of the country and it's in Russia. Canada I would have believed, but never Russia. AND I get to see some wonderful theater, the number one reason I came, with some wonderful people. One could imagine a trip called "Theater in Russia" would probably be based around, hey, you guessed it, theater in Russia, and of course it is, but I had never imagined I would be left with my jaw on the floor after almost every show. And even those where my fave remained intact have been delightful, language barrier aside. These are the kinds of performances I have dreamed of doing my entire life, and here I get to watch them enviously every night. Who knows, I might just be back for school one day.

All of that being said, I am homesick. I miss my friends. I miss my grandparents. I miss my cat. I can't wait to sit at my table and devour some hash browns and toast with guacamole (it's good with an egg on top, 10/10 do recommend), not to mention sleep in my own bed. However I am so incredibly thankful to be here and to have the opportunity to watch people with such intense, focused training on stage in real life and be able to learn from them. Even the puppet theater here is miles ahead, in my opinion, of theater in America and that astounds me. It's just so beautiful. I look forward to what the rest of the month brings.

Now onward into the snowstorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment